Tishirle

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

"The future of literacy" and "Visually Speaking"

I believe it means a variety of things to be considered literate in the context of computers. I had always thought of myself as literate with technology; however, I am learning that I really didn't know much! I can relate to Danielle in, "The Future of Literacy" as she uses the computer and is comfortable with it but tends to use it for more fun than anything else. Although, I am now realizing that I need to shift my thinking about computers as "fun" and start depending on them like many others have been. I will admit, I have been scared to let go of my old ways but I know that it is imperative to change because the world around me isn't going to sit still. If I don't change my thinking and use of technology I won't be able to help my students advance is this technology based world.

I have to mention that I love this quote in Shlain's article which states, "The recurrent message aneurocognitiveve conferences these days is, Neurons that fire together wire together; neurons that fail to synch fail to link." Could this be stated any better? I think this article was well written. I was so impressed with it, I sent it to many of my friends marked as an, "interesting read." I can't wait to see what they think about it.

Overall, I feel that my teaching will be greatly enriched by incorporating technology into my classroom curriculum. Technology excites students and keeps children actively engaged in learning. I want to be a teacher that is constantly learning and trying new things so I can teach my students the latest and greatest. I want to know and be able to relate to my students. I don't want to be the old outdated teacher that the kids hate- so here I am. I am ready to tackle the world of technology!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    You sound so enthusiastic about using technology in your classroom. I think that's great! But, don't assume that teachers who are not proficient with technology are disliked by their students. There are so many other factors that go into becoming a competent teacher.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home